The imposing house ‘Carclew’ on the summit of Montefiore Hill at North Adelaide with grounds extending between Jeffcott Street and Strangways Terrace was built for tobacco merchant Hugh Robert Dixson in 1901 and at first named ‘Stalheim’. Architect John Quinton Bruce created an eccentric Federation-style mansion in sandstone with red brick bands, its form complicated by multiple roof gables, balconies and a tall corner turret. In 1908 the house was bought by Marie Bonython, wife of Sir John Langdon Bonython, proprietor of the Advertiser, and given its present name. Occupied by the Bonython family until 1965, the house is now owned by the state and operated as a youth arts centre. The fence surrounding the site dates from the earlier house of James Chambers, which was the starting point in 1861 of John McDouall Stuart’s expedition to cross Australia.
Marsden, Susan, Paul Stark & Patricia Sumerling eds, Heritage of the City of Adelaide: An illustrated guide (Adelaide: Corporation of the City of Adelaide, 1990)