1. Central Market

    The Central Market is a distinctively Adelaide institution, renowned for fine food and produce and a bustling cosmopolitan atmosphere

    Historical Place | By Peter Bell | Central Market | 1860s, early twentieth century, early twenty–first century, late nineteenth century, late twentieth century, mid twentieth century

  2. Chalmers Church Free Church of Scotland

    The second oldest remaining church in Adelaide, Scots Church is still in use today.

    Historical Place | By Hannah Stewart, History Trust of South Australia | North Terrace | 1830s, 1840s, 1850s, 1860s, early twentieth century

  3. Cheer-Up Hut

    It started in a tent and grew – meals, clothes, accommodation and recreation for servicemen on the move.

    Historical Place | By Jude Elton, History Trust of South Australia | Parklands | 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s

  4. Church of Archangels Michael and Gabriel

    The Church of Archangels Michael and Gabriel stands on the site of Adelaide's oldest Greek Orthodox Church and remains an important centre for Greek cultural and community life in the city. 

    Historical Place | By Vedrana Budimir, History SA | Southwest corner | early twentieth century, late twentieth century, mid twentieth century

  5. CML Building

    On the prominent corner of King William Street and Hindley Street, the Colonial Mutual Life (CML) Building is one of Adelaide’s most iconic structures.

    Historical Place | By Alexander Parsons, History Trust of South Australia | Hindley Street, Rundle Mall | 1930s, 2010s, Great Depression

  6. Colonial Sugar Refinery, Glanville

    The Colonial Sugar Refinery (CSR) complex was constructed in 1891 on the Glanville side of the Port River, immediately opposite Port Adelaide.

    Historical Place | By James Hunter, History SA | 1890s, 1900-1910, 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s

  7. Commercial Road

    In 1839 Governor Gawler agreed to enter a joint venture with the South Australian Company relocating Port Adelaide from the end of what is now "Old Port Road" to the present site, marked by the SA maritime Museum's Lighthouse. Commercial Road was built over sandy and swampy ground, joining Port Road at Alberton.

    Historical Place

  8. Crown and Anchor Hotel

    The current hotspot for alternative and grunge music has a colourful criminal history

    Historical Place | By Hannah Stewart, History Trust of South Australia | 1850s, 1860s, 1870s, 1880s, 1890s, 1900-1910, 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s

  9. Darling Building

    The Darling Building on Franklin Street was built for John Darling and Son in 1916 it was designed by architect EH McMichael.

    Historical Place | By Catherine Manning, History Trust of South Australia

  10. Destitute Asylum

    Relief for the poor, the pregnant and the unemployed was a theme from the colony’s commencement

    Historical Place | By Mary-Louise Geyer | North Terrace | 1830s, 1840s, 1850s, 1860s, 1870s, 1910s

  11. Divett Street

    The Port’s dirt roads and low lying ground gave rise to two nick-names depending on the weather—Mudholia when wet, Dustholia when dry. 

    Historical Place | By Adam Paterson, South Australian Maritime Museum

  12. Dunmoochin

    Dunmoochin, built around 1858, was the home of Irish emigrants John and Honora Griffin and their three children. It is an example of the many workers’ cottages built in the West End. 

    Historical Place | By Vedrana Budimir, History SA | Southwest corner | 1840s, 1850s, 1860s, 1870s, 1880s, 1890s, 1900-1910, 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s

  13. East Parklands

    Despite an inauspicious start as a dumping ground for waste, the East Parklands gradually developed as an attractive centre for recreation in the city. 

    Historical Place | By Margaret Anderson, History SA | East Terrace, Rundle Street east, Southeast corner | 1830s, 1840s, 1850s, 1860s, 1870s, 1880s, 1890s, 1900-1910, 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000-2010, 2010s

  14. East Terrace

    A street in an area of contrasts - the rich, the poor, society figures, outcasts, business, leisure, health and education are associated with East Terrace

    Historical Place | By Jude Elton, History Trust of South Australia | East Terrace | 1830s, 1840s, 1850s, 1860s, 1870s, 1880s, 1890s, 1900-1910, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, Aboriginal Country pre-contact, early twenty–first century

  15. Elder Hall

    The simple exterior of Elder Hall belies the richness of its interior and the resonance of its organ

    Historical Place | By Jude Elton, History Trust of South Australia | North Terrace | 1880s, 1890s, 1900-1910, 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 2000-2010

  16. Elder Hall

    Elder Hall on Morialta Street, between Grote Street and Franklin Street, is the home of the Adelaide Benevolent and Strangers’ Friend Society.

    Historical Place | By Catherine Manning, History Trust of South Australia

  17. Elder House

    Elder House was built for Elder Smith and Co, and still bears the name though the company has merged with other businesses, evolved, and relocated. 

    Historical Place | By Catherine Manning and Pat Stretton

  18. Elder Park

    From dumping ground to pleasure gardens

    Historical Place | By Jude Elton, History Trust of South Australia | Parklands | 1860s, 1870s, 1880s, 1890s, 1900-1910, 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000-2010, 2020s

  19. Elder Park migrant hostel

    Right in the centre of the city, Elder Park was a first stopping point for many new migrants arriving in South Australia.

    Historical Place | By Dr Karen Agutter, the University of Adelaide, & Catherine Manning, Migration Museum | Parklands | 1940s, 1950s, 1960s

  20. Elder, Smith and Co’s Bonded and Free Stores

    The Bond Store building once used to store goods is now the South Australian Maritime Museum. 

    Historical Place | By Adam Paterson, South Australian Maritime Museum | 1850s, 1860s, 1870s, 1880s, 1890s, early nineteenth century, late twentieth century, mid twentieth century

  21. Electric Light Company

    The Electric Light and Motive Power Company was the first to electrify street lights in South Australia.

    Historical Place | By Adam Paterson, South Australian Maritime Museum

  22. Emigration Square

    Care for migrants, the unemployed and the destitute was evident from South Australia’s foundation days.

    Historical Place | By Kate Walsh | Northwest corner | 1830s, 1840s

  23. English and Australian Copper Company

    The first copper smelter, Adelaide Smelting Company, was built at the Port in 1849. 

    Historical Place | By Adam Paterson, South Australian Maritime Museum

  24. Estcourt House

    Estcourt House has been a landmark along the seafront, in the area now known as Tennyson, since 1882.

    Historical Place | By Catherine Manning, History Trust of South Australia | 1880s, 1890s, 1900-1910, early twentieth century, early twenty–first century, late twentieth century, mid twentieth century

  25. Exhibition Building and Grounds

    Now lost, the Exhibition Building once dominated North Terrace

    Historical Place | By Jude Elton, History Trust of South Australia | North Terrace | 1830s, 1840s, 1850s, 1860s, 1880s, 1890s, 1900-1910, 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s

  26. Eyre Peninsula

    South Australia’s largest peninsula and best-defined region has a long history but to date no general historian.

    Historical Place | By Helen Bartley and Jill Roe | early nineteenth century, early twentieth century, late nineteenth century, late twentieth century, mid nineteenth century, mid twentieth century

  27. First Church of Christ, Scientist, Adelaide

    Opened in 1957 for 360 people with a Sunday school for 300, the church has a marble porch and a 21.3m impressive entrance foyer

    Historical Place | By Open House Adelaide | North Terrace | 1950s

  28. Fleurieu Peninsula

    From prehistoric times through the Aboriginal Dreaming to a modern region popular for settlement, farming, tourism and recreation.

    Historical Place | By Christine Jones | early nineteenth century, early twentieth century, early twenty–first century, late nineteenth century, late twentieth century, mid nineteenth century, mid twentieth century

  29. Flinders St Baptist Church

    Flinders Street Baptist Church opened on 26 April 1863.

    Historical Place

  30. Flinders Street

    From ‘City of Churches’ to the ‘City of Cars’, Flinders Street reflects changes in Adelaide

    Historical Place | By Jude Elton, History Trust of South Australia | 1830s, 1840s, 1860s, 1870s, 1890s, 1900-1910, 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, early twenty–first century

Pages