1. Holy Trinity Church

    Holy Trinity Church is the earliest surviving Anglican Church building in South Australia, and one of Adelaide’s oldest standing structures.

    Historical Place | By James Hunter, History SA | North Terrace | 1830s, 1840s, 1850s, 1860s, 1870s, 1880s, 1890s, 1900-1910, 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000-2010, 2010s

  2. Hurtle Square / Tangkaira

    Located in the south-east of Adelaide on the Kaurna peoples land of Tandayangga (place of the Red Kangaroo Dreaming), Hurtle Square was one of the six squares designed by Colonel William Light in his 1837 plan of Adelaide. The Square has since seen numerous planting schemes and re-designs that have altered both its appearance and layout.

    Historical Place | By Owen Hems | Southeast corner | early nineteenth century, early twentieth century, early twenty–first century, late nineteenth century, late twentieth century, mid nineteenth century, mid twentieth century

  3. Institute Building

    The oldest of North Terrace’s cultural buildings

    Historical Place | By Jude Elton, History Trust of South Australia | North Terrace | 1830s, 1840s, 1850s, 1860s, 1870s, 1880s, 1890s, 1900-1910, 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000-2010, 2010s

  4. Iron Stores, Nile Street

    Known as the Iron Stores, the semicircular warehouses were the first waterfront warehouses in the colony.

    Historical Place

  5. Jane Street

    In the early days of the colony Jane Street was a community where teetotallers mixed with drinkers and smokers despite public debates about prohibition.

    Historical Place

  6. Jones' Violet Farm

    Charabancs loaded with people from Adelaide arrived on weekends to buy and pick violets. 

    Historical Place | By Welwood Anderson

  7. Kangaroo Island

    This island’s uniqueness is its major feature – there is nowhere else quite like it

    Historical Place | By Jean M Nunn

  8. King William Street

    Celebration, commemoration and protest happen amid the grand buildings that line Adelaide's main thoroughfare

    Historical Place | By Jude Elton, History Trust of South Australia | 1830s, 1840s, 1850s, 1860s, 1870s, 1880s, 1890s, 1900-1910, 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000-2010, 2010s

  9. Light Square/ Wauwe

    Originally intended as a recreational garden oasis from the surrounding city, Light Square, however, developed a reputation for prostitution, drinking and violence.

    Historical Place | By Owen Hems | Northwest corner | early nineteenth century, early twentieth century, early twenty–first century, late nineteenth century, late twentieth century, mid nineteenth century, mid twentieth century

  10. Maralinga

    The main site for joint Australian–British nuclear weapons tests in Australia lies 800 kilometres north-west of Adelaide on the southern edge of the Great Victoria Desert. 

    Historical Place | By Peter Morton | early twenty–first century, late twentieth century, mid twentieth century

  11. McLaren Wharf

    Built between 1839 and 1840, McLaren Wharf was the first element of maritime infrastructure established at Port Adelaide.

    Historical Place | By James Hunter, History SA | 1830s, 1840s, 1850s, 1860s, 1870s, 1880s, 1890s, 1900-1910, 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000-2010, 2010s

  12. Mid North

    As the Mid North has developed and prospered in accordance with the opportunities and restraints of transport and technology, so too it has declined. 

    Historical Place | By John Mannion | early nineteenth century, early twentieth century, late nineteenth century, late twentieth century, mid nineteenth century, mid twentieth century

  13. Migration Museum

    Opened in 1986 the Migration Museum in Adelaide was a world first.

    Historical Place | By Catherine Manning, Migration Museum | North Terrace | 1980s, 1990s, 2000-2010, 2010s

  14. Missions to Seamen and Habor Lights

    The Missions to Seamen offered sailors a bed, entertainment and religious support. 

    Historical Place

  15. Mitchell Building

    The 'University Building' has served many functions since it opened in 1882

    Historical Place | By Jude Elton, History Trust of South Australia | North Terrace | 1870s, 1880s, 1890s, 1900-1910, 1920s, 1930s, 1960s, 1970s

  16. Montefiore Hill

    Montefiore Hill, overlooking the city planned by Colonel William Light, was named after South Australian Colonization Commissioner Jacob Montefiore

    Historical Place | By Jude Elton, History Trust of South Australia | Parklands | 1830s, 1840s, 1880s, 1930s

  17. Morphett Street

    Morphett Street, named after prominent South Australian colonist Sir John Morphett, was a street in Colonel Light’s Plan of Adelaide in 1837 but in August 1967 it was extended to include Brown Street

    Historical Place | By Jude Elton, History Trust of South Australia | 1830s

  18. Newmarket Hotel

    The Newmarket Hotel occupies town acre 1 on the corner of West Terrace and North Terrace, close to where Colonel William Light began his survey of the city in January 1837.

    Historical Place | By Jude Elton, History Trust of South Australia

  19. North Terrace East

    North Terrace east is Adelaide’s premier cultural boulevard

    Historical Place | By Jude Elton, History Trust of South Australia | North Terrace | 1830s, 1840s, 1850s, 1860s, 1870s, 1880s, 1890s, 1900-1910, 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000-2010, 2010s

  20. North Terrace West

    Stretching from Adelaide’s first survey point to Parliament House, the character of this part of North Terrace continues to evolve

    Historical Place | By Jude Elton, History Trust of South Australia | North Terrace | 1830s, 1840s, 1850s, 1860s, 1870s, 1880s, 1890s, 1900-1910, 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, early twenty–first century

  21. Old Parliament House

    The site of countless debates, Old Parliament House dates from 1855

    Historical Place | By Jude Elton, History Trust of South Australia | North Terrace | 1830s, 1840s, 1850s, 1860s, 1870s, 1880s, 1890s, 1900-1910, 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000-2010, 2010s

  22. Parklands

    An ongoing source of enjoyment and controversy, the parklands are a unique and remarkably intact feature of Adelaide

    Historical Place | By Peter Bell | Parklands

  23. Parliament House

    The scene of pomp and ceremony, debates and demonstrations

    Historical Place | By Jude Elton, History Trust of South Australia | North Terrace | 1850s, 1860s, 1870s, 1880s, 1890s, 1900-1910, 1910s, 1930s, 1950s

  24. Piltawodli

    Pirltawardli, (possum home) is the site of the first Christian mission to Aboriginal people in South Australia.

    Historical Place | By Rhondda Harris | Parklands | 1840s

  25. Pirie Street

    Pirie Street has been home to cottages, churches, commerce and clubs

    Historical Place | By Jude Elton, History Trust of South Australia | 1930s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, early twentieth century, late nineteenth century, mid nineteenth century

  26. Pirie Street Methodist Church

    Pirie Street Methodist Church was the ‘cathedral church’ of Methodism in Adelaide.

    Historical Place | By Jude Elton, History Trust of South Australia | late nineteenth century

  27. Port Adelaide Council Chambers, St Vincent Street

    17 March 1956 Mayor PW Wicker launched centenary celebrations for Port Adelaide Council from its office balcony.  

    Historical Place | By Adam Paterson, South Australian Maritime Museum

  28. Port Adelaide Customs House

    Construction of Port Adelaide’s fourth customs house commenced in 1878, following demolition of the timber customs house established on the same spot in 1840.

    Historical Place | By James Hunter, History SA | 1880s, 1890s, early twentieth century, late twentieth century, mid twentieth century

  29. Port Dock Railway Station

    The Port Dock Station opened in 1856. It was part of the first government built and owned railway in the British Empire.

    Historical Place | By Adam Paterson, South Australian Maritime Museum

  30. Poverty Corner

    The notorious pick-up at the intersection of Divett and Lipson Streets was known as ‘Poverty Corner’.

    Historical Place | By Adam Paterson, South Australian Maritime Museum

Pages