1. Princess Elizabeth Playground

    The Princess Elizabeth Playground was opened in 1929. 

    Historical Place | By Jude Elton, History SA

  2. Public Libraries

    South Australia was unique among the Australian colonies in that the South Australian Literary and Scientific Association assembled a subscription library before the settlers left Britain.

    Historical Place | By Carl Bridge and Michael Talbot | North Terrace | early twentieth century, late nineteenth century, late twentieth century, mid nineteenth century, mid twentieth century

  3. Queen's Theatre

    Built in 1840, the Queen's Theatre is the oldest surviving theatre building in Adelaide. 

    Historical Place | By Catherine Manning and James Hunter, History SA | Northwest corner | 1840s

  4. Queens Wharf

    Queen's Wharf was one of the first two wharves built in Port Adelaide, providing the foundation of the Port we know today. 

    Historical Place | By Adam Paterson, South Australian Maritime Museum | 1840s

  5. Railway Hotel (Port Adelaide)

    The two-storey historic building located at 247 St. Vincent Street was the second in Port Adelaide to bear the name ‘Railway Hotel’.

    Historical Place | By James Hunter, History SA | 1850s, 1860s, 1870s, 1880s, 1890s, 1900-1910, 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000-2010, 2010s

  6. River Torrens

    The River Torrens has dominated the development of Adelaide and its metropolis, often in subtle or little recognised ways

    Historical Place | By CR Twidale, University of Adelaide | River Torrens | 1830s, 1840s, 1850s, 1860s, 1870s, 1880s, 1890s, 1900-1910, 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000-2010, 2010s

  7. Rundle Street

    Rundle Street has been a centre of shops and arcades, theatre and cafes, as well as acrimonious debate

    Historical Place | By Jude Elton, History SA | Rundle Mall, Rundle Street east | early nineteenth century, early twentieth century, early twenty–first century, late nineteenth century, late twentieth century, mid nineteenth century, mid twentieth century

  8. Saint Mary's Dominican Convent and School

    Saint Mary's Convent and School is one of several historically significant Catholic church buildings and religious community residences based on Franklin Street and West Terrace. 

    Historical Place | By Vedrana Budimir, History SA | Southwest corner | early twentieth century, late nineteenth century, late twentieth century, mid nineteenth century, mid twentieth century

  9. Saint Patrick's Church

    Saint Patrick's Church on Grote Street is one of several historically significant Catholic church buildings in the southwest corner of the Adelaide CBD. The original building was the first Catholic church in Adelaide. 

    Historical Place | By Vedrana Budimir, History SA | Southwest corner | early twentieth century, early twenty–first century, late nineteenth century, late twentieth century, mid nineteenth century, mid twentieth century

  10. South Australian Museum

    The South Australian Museum houses large scientific and cultural collections, with particular significance attached to its Aboriginal collection.

    Historical Place | By Margaret Anderson, History SA

  11. South Parklands

    Originally a camping site for local Aboriginal groups, the South Parklands were first used by Europeans as a military rifle range before evolving into the attractive centre for recreation that they are today.

    Historical Place | By James Hunter and Margaret Anderson, History SA

  12. South Terrace

    Mansions at one end and cottages at the other, with businesses, welfare, medical and educational institutions in between, all overlooking the parklands

    Historical Place | By Jude Elton, History SA | 1830s, 1840s, 1850s, 1860s, 1870s, 1880s, 1890s, 1900-1910, 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 2000-2010

  13. St Francis Xavier Cathedral

    The foundation stone for St Francis Xavier Cathedral was laid in 1856, and the construction of the tower completed in 1996. 

    Historical Place | By Open House Adelaide | 1850s

  14. St Luke's Church

    St Luke's Church has a long history of supporting, and support from, the community of Adelaide.

    Historical Place | By Jude Elton, History SA

  15. St Paul's Anglican Church

    St Paul’s Anglican Church was built on the corner of Flinders Street and Pulteney Street in 1863. A rectory facing Flinders Street was added shortly after.

    Historical Place

  16. St Vincent Street

    Ozone is the first in a chain of three theatres established by a consortium of local small businessmen.

    Historical Place

  17. State Library of South Australia

    The State Library of South Australia is one of several major cultural institutions located along North Terrace, on what is often referred to as 'Adelaide's cultural boulevard'.

    Historical Place | By Margaret Anderson, History SA

  18. Sturt Street School

    Sturt Street Primary School, built in 1883, was the local primary school for families living in the South West of the Adelaide CBD. 

    Historical Place | By Vedrana Budimir, History SA | Southwest corner | early twentieth century, early twenty–first century, late nineteenth century, late twentieth century, mid twentieth century

  19. Sym Choon Shops

    In 1925/26 Thomas Sym Choon bought his four children a shop each.

    Historical Place | By Hannah Stewart, History SA | Rundle Street east | 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s

  20. The Prince Albert Hotel

    The Prince Albert Hotel, built in 1852, was associated with the Dreyer family, who originally migrated from Germany. It operated as a family business between 1852 and 1976.

    Historical Place | By Vedrana Budimir, History SA

  21. The University of Adelaide

    Reflecting the province's progressive founding ideals, the University of Adelaide on North Terrace was South Australia's first university, established in 1874. 

    Historical Place | By Margaret Anderson, History SA | North Terrace

  22. Torrens Island internment camp

    During the First World War hundreds of men - 'enemy aliens' - were interned on Torrens Island in the Port River estuary north-west of Adelaide. 

    Historical Place | By Mandy Paul, History SA | 1910s

  23. Torrens Parade Ground and Training Depot

    During both world wars the Parade Ground served as a mustering point and enlistment centre. The distinctive white building, known simply as the Torrens Training Depot, was built in 1936.

    Historical Place | By Margaret Anderson, History SA

  24. Victoria Park

    Victoria Park was the first official racetrack in South Australia.

    Historical Place | By Catherine Manning, History SA

  25. Waterside Workers Hall

    November 1960, 1,100 wharfies, tally clerks, seamen and their families cramed into the Waterside Workers Hall.

    Historical Place | By Adam Paterson, South Australian Maritime Museum

  26. Weman Building

    Once home to one of colonial Port Adelaide's highly regarded sail-making and ship's chandlery businesses, the Weman Building has been faithfully restored to its original appearance and is part of the South Australian Maritime Museum's Lipson Street complex.

    Historical Place | By James Hunter, History SA | 1870s, 1880s, 1890s, 1900-1910, 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000-2010, 2010s

  27. West Parklands

    A temporary camping ground for the early European settlers, the West Parklands developed to host most notably a cemetery and a school.

    Historical Place | By Margaret Anderson, History SA | Northwest corner, Southwest corner | 1830s, 1840s, 1850s, 1860s, 1870s, 1880s, 1890s, 1900-1910, 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000-2010, 2010s

  28. West Terrace

    A major cemetery, a palace and an observatory have graced West Terrace along with its parklands border

    Historical Place | By Jude Elton, History SA | 1830s, 1840s, 1850s, 1860s, 1870s, 1880s, 1890s, 1900-1910, 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 2000-2010, 2010s

  29. West Terrace Cemetery

    West Terrace Cemetery reflects the early population groups of Adelaide, and is a popular destination for tour groups.

    Historical Place | By Rhiannon Agutter, History SA | West Terrace | early twentieth century, early twenty–first century, late nineteenth century, late twentieth century, mid nineteenth century, mid twentieth century

  30. Whitmore Hotel

    The Queen’s Arms Tavern or Inn, opened by 1 December 1838, sat on the northwest corner of Wright Street and Brown Street.

    Historical Place | By Jude Elton, History SA

Pages