Robinson’s swing bridge opened at Dock 1 in October 1886. It was built from steelwork shipped from England and it pivots to allow ships to enter the dock. It replaced an earlier bridge that spanned a narrower entrance.
According to the City of Port Adelaide Enfiled:
It was 129 feet long, 36 feet wide and had footpaths on either side. The bridge was operated by two people with a key turned by a hand lever. A line of rails passed over the bridge to allow freight access to the wharves. Robinsons Bridge closed in March 1935 and demolished in October 1935.
Local History Collection, City of Port Adelaide Enfield, https://www.flickr.com/photos/paelocalhistory/11185500054/in/photolist-rNct3w-i3qmPz-i3qBtd-rvHCcc-qRo5Dn-i3qBrE-qRdrzS-rN4B6b-rN6dqX-rtScav-i3qmKM-i3qBmQ-jWiov2-rvCrts-qgMLkq-rN9joc, accessed 28 September 2017
South Australian Weekly Chronicle, 29 September 1883, 'Marine Board' p. 7.